New Non-BOSS Pedals

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by Pepe » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:45 pm

ODB-3: tamed highs, low gain, good amount of clean tone blended in.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:20 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:18 am
Cool board! Kudos to your for using the ODB-3 in the only correct way.
It's the only way I found the tone useful vs wacky/effect-y. :D My BB1X on another board does the lower gain thing much better, but this one is great at this setting.
It's been a good board! Put it together in the mid/late 90s. The board itself is a mid 90s era repurposed/repainted Danelectro store demo board for the original 3 pedals (Cool Cat, Daddy-O, Fab Tone). That's also an original 76 BassBalls. It was a Christmas gift from the store owner, circa 1997.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:25 pm

Dirk wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:20 pm
Pepe wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:18 am
Cool board! Kudos to your for using the ODB-3 in the only correct way.
What do you mean? I also still have one, although it doesn't work in a band for me, I love the synthy sound it has.

@bigtone23, Pepe is right. Cool 90's inspired board. 8-)
Thank you! Not just inspired, but built in the 90s. The TU2 dropped in around 99.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:53 am

Two days ago I received a pedal that I have had before: a KORG PEQ-1 Parametric EQ. I got my first exemplar (mint and in box) several years ago in our second pedal exchange world tour. In 2016 I sold it on, because I didn’t use it too often, plus I thought that my BOSS PQ-4 would be more than sufficient. When I had the chance to try out the BOSS SP-1 Spectrum three years ago I realized
  • a) that the PQ-4 cannot produce the same sounds as the red vintage pedal and
  • b) that the KORG PEQ-1 can produce those sounds, plus it has an additional and very effective bandwidth control.
Ever since then I was looking for another unit in similar optical condition, but there weren’t many around, except for those in Japan with ridiculous price tags.

Ten days ago I spotted an ad in Berlin. And then one of my weirdest purchases took its start.

The seller offered this mint looking PEQ-1 in the box at the price of 60 EUR, which is a pretty good one. Although the ad said „pickup only“ I immediately contacted him. I offered 75 EUR including shipping to Duisburg, where I live. The seller replied „Sorry, no shipping. Greetings“. In a German synthesizer forum I asked around if somebody happens to live in the near of that part of Berlin, but without success.

Two days later the seller reduced the price to 55 EUR. I contacted him again, saying that I was still willing to pay 75 EUR if shipping became a possible option. He said thanks for the offer, but in that case he had had to inform about mail order trading and about setting up a payment system, etc. That would be too much for him and he was too old for this stuff and he was very sorry. I said that this wouldn’t be necessary at all. Since the seller was a longtime and trustable member of this popular German classifieds platform I offered a simple payment via bank transfer on mutual trust and on my own risk. He then came up with a strange reply talking about regulations of trades under the European Community Law that he didn’t want to delve into and that his eco-balance was important to him, plus he had no real trust when it comes to bank business and his trust was once exploited due to hackers. “Everything is possible. I’m really very sorry. All the best to you”. Phew!

I’m not known for giving up early, so I tried it for one last time – and he finally said “OK”. This is how it worked in the end:

The seller gave me his mailing address. I sent him an insured (and carbon-neutral) parcel containing 70 EUR in cash plus an empty post-paid insured (and carbon-neutral) parcel with my address, bubble wrap and some tape to put in the KORG pedal. That parcel arrived in Berlin last Friday and the seller went to the post office on the same day. On Tuesday I received the other parcel at the opposite part of Germany.

The guy didn’t send me the KORG PEQ-1 only, he also included a Monarch MMM-22 Metal Master, which is just like an Aria AUM-1 Ultra Metal. He said that both pedals always sounded great in combination. The Metal Master is something like a copy of the BOSS HM-2. Not the same, but quite similar. Anyway, this was a nice extra. I’m glad that this deal came to a very good end. The seller was happy that everything worked to my satisfaction and he apologized for the tortuous way how this deal came about.

And a few weeks ago I won an ebay auction of this KORG CMP-1 Compressor for around 40 EUR:

I was really happy that I won it for this low price, especially because it came with the box, the manual and the original bag and bubble wrap. Normally it costs over 100 EUR at Reverb and some sellers in Japan offer them for absolutely ridiculous prices - a clone is up for sale for over 240 USD! Prices of the KORG Compressor and the OVD-1 Over Drive have gone up in the last few years, because a famous Japanese band, Boøwy, seems to have used them a lot in the '80s.

It is one of the best compressors that I have come across. It has very little noise and with the two knobs and the switch it is very easy to use. The tonal result is remarkably good. I suppose that it was inspired by the BOSS CS-1 and now I get what is meant with the "squashy" sound. I'm not a compressor fanboy, but this one is a keeper, not only for collector's sake!

Hadn't I sold the LIM-1 Limiter and the NGT-1 Noise Gate two years ago I would now have a full set of this pedal series. I'm tempted to buy a boxed NGT-1, although I don't need it. Maybe I'll buy it after the next pedal sale ... :?

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:33 pm

That is one heck of a story, but with an excellent ending! Congrats.

laurie

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:41 pm

Interestingly, the CMP-1 uses a circuit similar to the one that I have been referencing over in this thread:
http://www.bossareaforum.com/Forum/view ... f=13&t=757

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:25 am

Pepe wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:53 am
[...] I'm tempted to buy a boxed NGT-1, although I don't need it. Maybe I'll buy it after the next pedal sale ... :?
I sold my beat-up KORG PHS-1 Phaser that I recently repaired with Laurie's help. The boxed NGT-1 will arrive in the next few days. Then I only need to hunt down another cheap LIM-1! :geek:

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:52 pm

Inching closer to a complete family :D

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:05 pm

Wow! Wild story, cool ending.
I'd take a single band PEQ over a graphic more than half the time, as any issue or need with tonality can often be solved with smart use of boosting or cutting a certain frequency with aptly applied Q. I really like my Boss PQ3B.
Also, glad to hear about trustworthy people out there.
It's cool, though I haven't met many in person, I have a higher level of trust with many of the regulars on many message boards. Have done several transactions that required trust.

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:31 pm

I've done transactions with nearly everyone on this board and, without fail, everyone has integrity. This is a very small board, but one of the most trustworthy ones on the web.