Let's see those pedalboards!

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Goran

Re: Let's see those pedalboards!

Post by Goran » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:42 pm

This is my home-board, use a table to easier access to knob-fiddling, really important to me.
Some Boss, some others and some built by myself.
There is a constant switching/changing of pedals, reverb and delay are always there of course, so the board will not be exactly the same tomorrow.
DSCN1985.JPG
DSCN1985.JPG (70.11 KiB) Viewed 11616 times

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:53 pm

Goran wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:42 pm
This is my home-board, use a table to easier access to knob-fiddling, really important to me.
Some Boss, some others and some built by myself.
There is a constant switching/changing of pedals, reverb and delay are always there of course, so the board will not be exactly the same tomorrow.

DSCN1985.JPG
+20 points for the Tera Echo :)

I love mine!

Trout

Post by Trout » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:27 am

Latest edition

Kulten
SBZ: Copper

Post by Kulten » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Clean & efficient !

sclitheroe

Post by sclitheroe » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:11 am

Boss to the left, boutique to the right, please!

Enough dirt to blow your head off, and a bottomless ocean of reverb so the body will never be found :D
rsz_img_20181110_142726_130_1.jpg
rsz_img_20181110_142726_130_1.jpg (124.54 KiB) Viewed 11536 times

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 am

Great board! I haven't seen that fredric effects Harmonic Percolator before. And that Hawaiian Pizza is new to me, as well. Sounds tasty! :D
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

sclitheroe

Post by sclitheroe » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 am
Great board! I haven't seen that fredric effects Harmonic Percolator before. And that Hawaiian Pizza is new to me, as well. Sounds tasty! :D
I'm a fan of the Harmonic Percolator circuit - I had a Catalinbread Karma Suture previously. This Fredric Effects one is built to vintage spec, and it's great! It's woolier at max settings compared to the Catalinbread, and has all the great cleanup that this circuit provides.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I've fancied one of Tim's (Fredric Effects) Harmonic Percolator clones for a while. He also makes a modified version: http://www.fredric.co.uk/utility-perkolator

What are those Caroline pedals like? Not familiar with those.

sclitheroe

Post by sclitheroe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 am

Long post but you asked about the Caroline pedals :D
BearBoy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 pm
I've fancied one of Tim's (Fredric Effects) Harmonic Percolator clones for a while. He also makes a modified version: http://www.fredric.co.uk/utility-perkolator

What are those Caroline pedals like? Not familiar with those.
I debated which to get, and I decided I didn't want a tamed Percolator, I wanted more percolation :D Hiss is fine (I like a bit of hiss from my dirtiest dirt, to be honest..that's the sound of rock and roll at idle), and I really wanted it to bring the wool, so it's ideal. The Catalinbread is really good too, but this one is dirtier. Now that I've played two variants, I can also say both can be used as very passable overdrives at low gain. It's a fantastic circuit in my opinion. Doubt you could go wrong with any of Tim's percolator's, to be honest.

The Caroline Guitar Company stuff has been great, and I really like their design and tonal style. The Meteore is a lo-fi reverb with a gain control for overdriving the verb circuit, and a second footswitch for inducing self-oscillation. It's bouncy, reflective, and can be thunderous with the overdrive adding dirt in your reverberated signal. Tons of fun for crank-addled surf or a late night Cramps bender.

The Parabola is Caroline's take on a Schaller / West Germany trem. So it's a breathy, bubbly trem that isn't clinical - it has that slight throb and breath to it. I'd had Catalinbread's Valcoder, which I think is also loosely based on the circuit. Awesome chop, same beautiful throb, but very, very limited adjustability. If they'd worked harder on the range of control I would have kept it. Ironically, if I hadn't gotten the Parabola, I'd have gotten Fredric Effects version of the Schaller - once I'd heard that circuit, I knew that was the one for me, and I'm positive, after playing the Harmonic Percolator, that Tim has probably done it justice too. The Parabola also has this neat AM/FM switch. AM is straight amplitude modulation, the FM, I don't understand how it works, but it manages to sit the trem underneath your attack somehow. It makes the trem very usable as a subtle always on effect. And it comes with an overdrive (sense a theme for me? :D )

The Shigeharu is the biggest, most gainy, most impossibly bold, bassy (if you want) and heavy IC based Muff circuit you've ever heard. I've never played, nor even heard a pedal with more Muff style gain than this thing is possible of delivering. A NYC Muff on full gain is maybe half what this thing can do. And then you step on the octave and introduce a transformer driven, blendable Octave fuzz over top. Since it's IC, even at full bore it remains just tight enough to hold it all together. Played through my '59 Bassman LTD with a hollow body Gretsch will basically set all the heating ducts in my house resonating and vibrating ;) It's a gut punch. It's a little frightening/intimidating, in fact. It's good.

Hawaiian Pizza I have the least experience with (only had it a few days now). It's a fuzz, with input level and a voltage control. Not sure what it's based on, but super responsive to picking dynamics and guitar volume, and can go from gated and broken with a hint of ring mod to glassy/gritty OD to full on fuzz face family roar. I like a gritty, compressed/crumbly overdrive or light distortion tone, that kind you really only get from a pedal with a voltage starve (and kinda what I hear in my head for the tone I want for myself), so, so far, this thing is working out well. Other cool things - the input knob (the pig) is treble bled, so it gets brighter as you turn down the gain and doesn't mud up. It also has a transformer based, internally switchable pickup simulator that let's it go anywhere on a board, buffer in front or not. I didn't love the sound of it pushed by other effects, so it's up front on the board and I didn't need it, but I could see it being useful, and in testing, it does work and helps retain the responsiveness to volume controls on the guitar.

My board is funny now - I like the order I have all the effects in (I always run trem before the Muff, even when it was a NYC and a TR-2, as an example), and I didn't deliberately set out to arrange it how it ended up. And yet the split down the middle is quite apparent to me - I love my Boss pedals, and I use them lots, but that's the "safe" side of the board with more conventional gain, verb, delay, etc. The right side of the board is the tone I like and what I'd like my own sound to be like. But it's not always suitable for covering stuff or playing with others who want to jam on covers (or at least I haven't found people that want to jam on Cramps and Link Wray tunes all night ;) )

I can see my board staying this way for a while now.

-Scott

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive run through Scott. Some of those Caroline pedals sound really interesting. I'll go and check some demos out on YouTube.