laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Let's see those pedalboards!

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:39 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:27 am
image0.jpeg

I’m really looking forward to a session booked in for next month that needs a lot of dirt !

As always, I want to keep it simple, so I dug out a Boss BCB-60 and filled it with Boss pedals - with one small exception that’s a permanent fixture in all my setups ;)

Purely by accident I’ve stumbled across a great combination into that Fender amp. The pedals are, from the guitar: BP-1w Booster/Preamp (‘Nat’ setting) —-> DA-2 Adaptive Distortion —-> JB-2 Angry Driver (‘JHS’ setting’) —->FW-1w Fuzz (‘V’ setting) —->DD-3 Digital Delay (set for short delay to give a doubling/thickening effect) —-> DD-7 Digital Delay (set for a longer delay c. 400ms) and rounded off with a ‘Laurie’ HZD Boost.

The Super Sonic is set to the clean / vintage channel with the ‘Fat’ boost added to taste.

I’m really pleased with this setup and, with some treble rolled off, it also sounds pretty good through the JC-40.

It’s been a productive day :)
Thumbs.jpg
Thumbs.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 338 times

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:59 pm

image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (136.81 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Off topic a bit but I’m really getting into this now ! I haven’t played this guitar properly for many years but I dragged it out today to try with the ‘Dirt Rig’.

It is brilliant and I’m kicking myself for not giving it enough attention over the years. I got it sometime in the ‘90s for a one-off gig on HMS Belfast that’s moored on the River Thames - that was a very weird gig and the hardest load in and out that I’ve ever done :lol:

I suppose it’s time to find the Spandex now :?

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:43 pm

Cool guitar. Them pointy-ended things have always been like an alien concept to my telecaster-lovin' self, but recently ive developed a hankering to have something flat-boarded and lockable everywhere with a real man's whammy on it. And it looks pretty high quality too
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 am

Luke Drifter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:43 pm
Cool guitar. Them pointy-ended things have always been like an alien concept to my telecaster-lovin' self, but recently ive developed a hankering to have something flat-boarded and lockable everywhere with a real man's whammy on it. And it looks pretty high quality too

I’m exactly the same. At the time I was a Les Paul and Tele player and this was not something I I would have bought for the regular gigs I had. It did the job for the one-off, looked good, played well and sounded great (the only guitar I have with active pickups), but I wasn’t a fan of the Floyd Rose - it was a nightmare to change strings and balance the trem properly. The strings on it now have been there since 2008 ! :lol:

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 am

I'm kinda the same. I've had one of these since 1990:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_HM_Strat

No pointy headstock ( :D ) but Khaler locking, HSS, flat neck.

It was my go-to for the longest time, and this thread is prompting me to get it back out.

Years ago I swapped the DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker for a PAF and the single coils for American standards to tame it down a bit. I wonder if I should swap them back? Nah, even if the guitar could shred, I can't :?

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:57 pm

laurie wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 am
I'm kinda the same. I've had one of these since 1990:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_HM_Strat

No pointy headstock ( :D ) but Khaler locking, HSS, flat neck.

It was my go-to for the longest time, and this thread is prompting me to get it back out.

Years ago I swapped the DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker for a PAF and the single coils for American standards to tame it down a bit. I wonder if I should swap them back? Nah, even if the guitar could shred, I can't :?
Happy to inspire you Laurie! :D Just realised there’s a battery in this thing. Fortunately it’s ok and hasn’t leaked. Lucky escape there I think. Sounds even better with a new one in :roll:

zentropa
SBZ: Silver

Post by zentropa » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm

The other guitarist in my first band in the mid-90s had a Charvel like that. The fretboard width was too much for my tiny hands hehe.

I did end up going through a super-strat phase about 10 years ago when I was finally able to play again after almost cutting my finger off in 2008 since they were easy to set up with super low action. I ended up going through 7 MIJ Kramers (3 Matsumoko and 4 ESP built, all with OFR) and 3 MIJ Jacksons that I obtained for between $60 and $225 each. It was fun diving into new territory, although I don't miss doing setups on them. There is one Kramer in particular that I do regret selling. I would do annual maintenance on the Floyd Rose and then it would stay in tune for the entire year.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:58 pm

That's a killer Charvel! I had a 89 Cobalt Blue Model 4 back then, it was like yours, but pre-toothpaste logo, had a bolt neck, 3 mini toggles vs blade switch and the original Guitar headstock logo (the Model 6, like yours, had the set neck). Same J200 stacked 'singles' and J50BC humbucker with JE1200 mid boost system. A really well designed and great sounding electronics package-done by Paul Gagon (who worked for Fender and G&L). It was my #1 go-to for cover gigs. Matter of a fact, the JE1200 midboost system spoiled me. I sold that guitar off and bought an 83 Strat Elite, which had Fender's MDX midboost system. The lower output, brighter pickup with mid boost is easily the most versatile set up of all time. It can spank and chime, or push and grind, all with that one knob. Since then, all of my main players have a mid boost system. EMG SPC, Fender MDX, Demeter MB1 and Jackson JE1200 (and a Chinese copy of one) are all represented in my guitars.

I have revisited the Super Strat/80s Shredder guitars since selling them all off in the early 90s. Picked them up in the early 2010s, before they caught back on a few years ago and jumped in price. I still have a few 84-86 Ibanez Roadstar II, an 84 Contemporary Fender and had a couple 86-88 Charvel Models (another 4 and a 3). They are all as great as I remembered.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm

Kulten wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:00 pm
Well I change months ago : only synthesizers, no effects... except the first SYB-3 is set for a fuzz or an octave. The second one is a "space" sound and the SYB-5 is for drone with LFO sound.
Ha! Like minds...
This is my 'add some synth bass' board.
Also, 'what to do with this extra TU2?' board.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

...and this is how I'm currently using the bargain BCB6/PSM5 I got a few weeks ago.
The "need a boost or some dirt?" board. The SD1 is my B50 version.
Last edited by bigtone23 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.